Tonight's State of the Union address promises to be unbearable:
"The president's going to explain why he thinks the American people are angry and frustrated," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said on "Good Morning America" today.Dude. We know why we're angry!
Short of wearing a cone of shame or rigging up something like this (please pardon the tacky, stolen photo shop), it will be hard to believe that he comprehends our anger.
Just guessing, but I expect the speech to feature
- outright falsehoods
- faux admissions of mistakes
- complaints about how hard it is to be president
- protestations of intense caring -- he reads ten letters a day! he thinks about the unemployed morning, noon, and night!
- straw men -- "there are those who..."
- manipulation in the form of a goody-bag for the middle class
In other words, it will be a load of expired baloney. So let's move on. What inquiring minds really want to know is this: What will Michelle O wear? Will the arms be showcased the way they were last year, by a sleeveless silk blouse in the middle of winter? Or maybe she'll sense the gravitas of the occasion and wear what she wore to that Medal of Honor ceremony.
Update: Obama will re-commit to Obamacare? How's that going to work?
Post-speech analyses here.
Thanks to Doug Ross for the link.
Most recent posts here.